The U.S. Green Building Council New Jersey Chapter (USGBC NJ) hosted “Celebrating Women in Green” on Wednesday, June 19th.
The event, in collaboration with the Feliciano School of Business at Montclair State University, was the first Women in Green event held by USGBC NJ, but won’t be the last. “Celebrating Women in Green” featured ample networking and vegetarian cuisine for roughly 60 attendees: men and women across a range of “green” careers and a number of college students. Photos of the event can be seen here.
(Pictured left to right: Jessica Ford; Jayne Spector; Casey Cullen-Woods; Monika Serrano-Reidlinger; Michele Siekerka; Lauren Brust Moss; Nathaly Agosto Filión; Gail Lalla; Faith Taylor; and Amy Tuininga.)
The Keynote Speaker was Michele N. Siekerka, Esq., President and CEO of the New Jersey Business & Industry Association. NJBIA is the nation’s largest, most influential employers’ organization. Siekerka gave a warm and inspiring talk to the crowd, focusing on mentorship, opportunities for advancement, and work-life balance.
Wayne DeFeo, USGBC NJ Executive Director said, “This program highlighted the achievements of talented women across the spectrum of sustainability fields, and helped outline how they got where they are.”
Moderator Lauren Brust Moss (LEED AP O&M, Fitwel Ambassador, Program Director, New York City Sustainability Services, NORESCO, Board Chair, Northeast Sustainable Energy Association) shared the story of how she took advantage of opportunities to break gender barriers and how she helps other women to do the same.
The talented panel was made up of women from a variety of fields and ranging in stages of their careers:
• Jayne Spector, LLA, LEED AP, Senior Landscape Architect, Langan Engineering
• Casey Cullen-Woods, Living Future Accredited, WELL AP, LEED AP BD+C, Fitwel Project Director , Thornton Tomasetti, USGBC NJ Board Member
• Gail Lalla, Client Manager, T&M Associates, Resiliency Planning and Engineering
• Nathaly Agosto Filión, Chief Sustainability Officer, City of Newark
• Amy R. Tuininga, PhD, Director of Montclair State’s PSEG Institute for Sustainability Studies (PSEG ISS)
Each gave their “3 minutes of brilliance” and answered questions from the audience in this intimate setting. See the headshots and bios of all the speakers.
The event was co-chaired by USGBC NJ Board Members Jessica Ford (NORESCO) and Monika Serrano-Riedlinger (Turner Construction).
“On behalf of the Board and Staff at USGBC New Jersey, we were thrilled to hold this terrific program, and we look forward to doing it again,” stated Faith Taylor, USGBC NJ Board Member and former Board Chair who hosted the event at the Feliciano School of Business, Montclair State University.
SUSTAINABLE FEATURES OF THE EVENT INCLUDED:
- The event location – MSU – has a strong commitment to green buildings and sustainability;
- The event location is accessible by mass transit;
- Printed materials were printed on recycled paper;
- Certificates presented to the speakers were printed on recycled paper and framed in FSC certified frames;
- Carbon neutral event – carbon offsets for the estimated carbon emissions of the event and attendees purchased through the carbon fund;
- Menu was vegetarian;
- Attendee name badges are reusable; and
- All paper items being recycled.
Not yet a USGBC NJ member?
As you can see, USGBC NJ gives you access to a diverse variety of professionals. Our members represent the entire spectrum of New Jersey’s green building community across a variety of fields. Our events frequently provide quality networking with sustainable amenities, plus CEUs on a range of timely topics.
Thank you to once again our Event Sponsors:
Thank you to our Student Sponsor:
Thank you to our Host Sponsor: